Replacing lost parts with 3D prints

 



So the other day, I lost two essential parts from a STEM toy kit. Not to worry I can always print a replacement, I thought. 

I opened up OnShape and got to modelling. Using Vernier callipers, I measured their sizes and made exact dimensions on my CAD model. 



Now, 3D Printers aren't usually very precise. You should account for a 0.03-0.05 mm tolerance when making a CAD Model. Because when I would print the part, and measure it with Vernier Calipers the holes would be smaller by about 0.03 mm. This meant that the part wouldn't fit in the holes.

You can offset this by using the Hole Expansion setting in Cura, which works perfectly fine. But when it comes to the parts that need to be fitted, changing the settings in your CAD model is the way to go.

I printed many versions of the hexagon shaft part, until I made one that fit perfectly with the other stem toy parts.





Looks pretty nice, doesn't it?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fixing the "A software problem has caused Meshmixer to close unexpectedly" Problem

Digital Sculpting with MeshMixer...

Making an 8DOF Quadruped